By default, NationBuilder collects sales tax for customers located in the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington.
However, if you are an exempt entity, you can request exemption by generating and filing an exemption certificate with us.
Note: To have tax-exempt status, you must have met the IRS requirements and then applied for and achieved tax-exempt status.
To begin, navigate here and accept the terms and conditions.
1. Click Add an exemption certificate.
2. Specify your state and exemption reason. Then, click Next.
3. Fill out your company’s name, address, email, and phone number and click Save and Continue.
4. You will advance to the “Digital Signature” step. If additional information and a signature is required, you will be prompted for it.
In some cases, no certificate is generated and you will receive instructions to create a generic request. Click the Next button to view the populated cover sheet. Download the cover sheet and click the here link to return to the main menu.
5. Click Import exemption certificates. You can upload up to 10 files (including the cover sheet you generated in the last step and any supporting documentation requested).
Once you submit, our team will review your application and contact you in regards to the approval or rejection of your tax exempt status. If you are approved as exempt, sales tax will be removed from future invoices.