While other payment processors require you to set up an account through their websites, you can sign up for Democracy Engine directly from your nation’s control panel. Once you create your account, it can take about 24 hours for your account to be activated. You will receive an email directly from Democracy Engine.
1. To get started, go to Settings > Payment processors > New processor and select Democracy Engine from the "Select provider" dropdown under "Third-party processor." Click the Add payment processor button.
2. Enter a name in the required “Name of account” field.
3. Include the name of the legal entity that will be receiving the funds in the “Legal name of the entity” field.
4. You have the option to choose a description for your organization through the “Type of organization” drop-down menu. The different options include for profit, nonprofit, charity, individual, federal_candidate, federal_pac, federal_party, state_candidate, state_pac, state_party, local_candidate, local_pac, and local-party.
5. Include the address of your organization. The fields will ask for your street address, the apartment or suite number, city, county, state, or postal code. Select your country from the dropdown menu.
6. For identification purposes, you must include the Federal Tax ID of your organization. If you don’t have one, you can use your personal social security number.
7. Include the bank name, routing number, and account number that will be used to process transactions.
8. Choose how donors will interact with your donation page. First, decide whether the donations are tax deductible. This status will appear on the donation page and on donation receipts.You may require a donor’s employer and occupation information, the employer’s full address, or just the employer’s city and state. You may also include corporate contribution fields. If you are a political campaign, check your local and Federal regulations to see if you are required to collect this information.Activate any setting by checking the appropriate text box.
9. If your organization has a specific disclaimer or contribution rules required to accept donations, enter that copy in the "Contribution rules" text box. This includes specific disclaimers mandated by campaign finance law. Donors will have to check a box accepting these statements before submitting a donation.
10. Confirm or edit contact’s name by looking at the “Contact first name” and “Contact last name” fields.
11. Confirm or edit the email address associated with the Democracy Engine account in the “Email” field.
12. Confirm the username associated with the Democracy Engine account in the “Username to use for Democracy Engine” field.
13. Create a password in the “Password to use for Democracy Engine” field.
14. Review your information and select the Save account button. Remember, it can take about 24 hours for your account to be activated and you will receive an email directly from Democracy Engine.