📌 Note: NationBuilder Payments rates differ per plan. For more information on plan types please see the add-ons page in your nation.
NationBuilder payments now supports GBP, AUD, EUR, NZ, SEK, NOK, DKK, and CHF.
Table of Contents
📌 Note: These are the instructions for all currencies other than Australian, Eurozone, New Zealand, Swiss, U.K., and the U.S.
To complete the initial setup process, you will need:
An email address to identify the account
A mobile phone number for authentication purposes when changes are made to the account
Your legal name and date of birth
The name of your organization
Credentials for a payout destination (routing number/account number for a bank account or card number for a debit card)
To begin, navigate to Settings > Payment processors > New processor.
Click the Set up a new account button under Payment processing with NationBuilder.
📌Note: Because this is a specialized account type created specifically for NationBuilder customers, you'll need to create a new account even if you have an existing Stripe account.
2. Name your payment processor and enter any initial information you have.
3. Click Save account.
4. You'll be directed back to Payment processors > All processors. Hover over your processor and click Edit.
5. Now you should see a button labelled Connect to NationBuilder in the lower right hand corner of the page. Click on it to complete your setup with Stripe.
6. You will land on an account activation screen powered by Stripe, our payment service provider. You will need to provide business details: country, business address, type of business, Employer Identification Number (EIN), business website, and business description.
📌Note: When you are setting up your Stripe account, the page will display what information you need to provide for verification based on where you are located. So, depending on the kind of organization you have, providing an NIN or CRN may be the acceptable form of verification.
7. You must provide a legal name, date of birth, and home address.
8. Next, you'll enter credit card statement details: statement descriptor and support phone number.
9. Finally, enter your bank details.
You will need to provide the routing number and account number for your bank account.
10. Enable two-step authentication, click on Get text message or Use Google Authenticator.
11. Enter your email address and password.
If you provide an email address associated with an existing Stripe account, you will be prompted to log in, and your existing details will be pre-filled.
If you provide an email address associated with a payment processing account you set up through NationBuilder, you will be able to create one additional payment processor with the same email. However, only one processor can be in live mode. If your existing processor is in testing mode, the second processor will be created in live mode and vice versa. You may use the same NationBuilder payment processing account across nations.
12. Click Authorize access to this account. You'll be taken back to your NationBuilder control panel.
To finalize the connection, you'll need to get your API key from Stripe. This key identifies your account with Stripe.
To do so:
1. Access your Stripe account and click on API on the sidebar to the left.
2. Click Reveal live key token to locate your live secret key. Secret API keys should be kept confidential as it can perform any API request to Stripe without restriction.
You will need the live secret key in order to process real transactions. Learn more about Stripe API keys.
3. Once you have your Stripe API key, head back to your NationBuilder control panel. Go to Settings > Payment processors > All processors. Hover over the one you just set up and click Edit.
4. On the processor settings page, copy the secret key from Stripe and paste it into the required “Secret key” field.
5. Click Save account.
Updating account information
To update any details you provided during initial setup, click the pencil button next to your payment processor under Settings > Payment processors and click on the Manage Account menu. You will be directed to Stripe’s dashboard.
If you make changes, you will be prompted to enter a 6-digit code sent to the same mobile number you provided during initial setup to confirm those changes.
Deleting your account
To delete your payment processing account, click the pencil button next to your payment processor under Settings > Payment processors and click on the Delete account button.
⚠️ Use this carefully, as it will stop all recurring donations associated with the account, prevent refunds of past payments, and prevent you from accessing its transaction data.