Table of Contents
- Create a new tracking code
- Ways to use tracking codes: track your fundraising campaign, track individual donations, track ticket purchases
- View results of tracking code
Create a new tracking code
Because tracking codes are tied to transactions, you start in the Finances section in your control panel. Tracking codes can be created in Finances > Tracking codes.
1. Create a slug to identify your unique tracking code and include a name/description (optional).
2. Click the Add tracking code button to save your new tracking code.
Ways to use tracking codes
Tracking codes can be used in a few different ways:
- Track your fundraising campaign
You first have to create a donation page for your campaign, and then add a tracking code to the specific page. All donations that go through that page will get marked with the specific code. Each donation can have only one tracking code.
To add a tracking code to your donation page, go to Website > [Select Site] > [Select donation page] > Donation settings > Basics > Tracking code.
If you need to create a new tracking code, click on the link below the "Tracking code" dropdown menu. You will be taken to the Finances section where you can add the new code.
Once you publish your donation page, all transactions that go through the page will be marked with the specific tracking code.
For example, Tony oversees all the fundraising at his student organization. His team decides to launch a few campaigns in order to increase the number of donations. Because the organization uses multiple donation pages that are all active, Tony creates specific tracking codes for these pages. Through this method, the team is not only able to see where all the transactions are coming from, but they can also measure how successful certain campaigns are over others.
- Track individual donations
You can use a tracking code to keep track of individual donations. Remember, each donation can have only one tracking code.
- Track ticket purchases
If a tracking code exists on the event page and the donation page where the ticket purchase occurs, then the tracking code from the donation page will only be added to the ticket sale. For this reason, you must direct event RSVPs to a donation page without a tracking code in order to track ticket purchases.
View results of tracking code
After creating your tracking codes, you can view all transactions associated with the specific code by using the filter feature in the Finances section of your control panel.
1. Visit Finances > Transactions > Click the filter button > Click Add Criteria > Enter Donation tracking code in search > [Select specific tracking code].
2. Click the Filter button and view all the transactions associated with the specific tracking code.
You can also get a quick view of incoming transactions that may be tied to a tracking code by looking at the "Transaction" column in Finances > Transactions.